Author Topic: CAZ testing  (Read 2993 times)

heatseak

CAZ testing
« on: February 07, 2011, 11:29:34 AM »
Hello,

I am new to energy auditing and have a few ?'s on combustion safety tests.

I have not had the opportunity to check a gas dryer or gas furnace (have done 2 homes with sealed burners)

1   Do I need to test draft pressure on a furnace with a draft inducer motor?
2   Are you supposed to drill into double walled vent pipe?
3   Are you supposed to open a gas dryer to check for co and if so where do you check it?
4   Where should I be checking for co in a gas furnace?
5       Do I need to test draft on a gas clothes dryer?

Thanks for any help you can give

SLS Construction

• Global Moderator
  • Super Auditor
    • SLS Construction & Building Solutions
Re: CAZ testing
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 11:48:03 AM »
As I posted in your intro post:

Welcome to the site & good luck with the field portion

In all honesty, there is the BPI standard you are supposed to know and then how the person giving the test taught you. For example - you should not drill into doublewall, PVC, etc... which one instructor taught & I believe is the safest for the HO's. Another instructor says you should - so while going through the field portion with him, I fed his information right back to him.

You then have another factor to consider & that is what are you allowed to do under the State's laws & regs - the drilling and some other items are not allowed in this state unless you are a licensed HVAC

#1 - not fully positive what type you are talking about
#2 - see above but NO
#3 - no
#4 - depends, but this should be done by an HVAC tech as the furnace is turned up (That should be a mandatory item - but it isn't)
#5 - no, but checking to see how clogged up it is would be a good idea
#6 & #7 - I don't audit to BPI's specs as they are sadly lacking, so I fall back on RESNET's standards, and use a version of NJ's audit sheets if they want a copy of the results. For the most part it is an email, with pictures and recommendations

Mizzou Misfit

Re: CAZ testing
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 01:03:07 PM »

1   Do I need to test draft pressure on a furnace with a draft inducer motor?
2   Are you supposed to drill into double walled vent pipe?
3   Are you supposed to open a gas dryer to check for co and if so where do you check it?
4   Where should I be checking for co in a gas furnace?
5       Do I need to test draft on a gas clothes dryer?

Thanks for any help you can give

1.  I do to ensure that the vent isn't clogged and the motor is running properly.  It isn't necessary.
2.  If I owned the company that was doing the draft test, I would not drill.  However, our agency must go by DNR guidelines and they recommend drilling and plugging.

Mizz

Barnes & Noble Home Get Great Deals on Furniture at OfficeMax.com!