Author Topic: Speaker wanted for eastern PA  (Read 692 times)

Ben Stallings

• Super Auditor
    • Green Door Kansas
Speaker wanted for eastern PA
« on: January 30, 2013, 03:45:12 PM »
I've been contacted by someone who's looking for a guest speaker in eastern PA, southern NJ, or DE to give a 15-minute talk about weatherization.  That's all the information I have aside from his email address, which is nshap@hotmail.com .  If you're interested, please follow up with him/her directly.  Thanks!

Bud9051

• Global Moderator
  • Super Auditor
  • Good Day or Bad Day, It's a Choice
Re: Speaker wanted for eastern PA
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 05:18:40 PM »
Hi Ben,
I had to comment :).  It takes me 15 minutes to say HI.  What would one try to squeeze into a presentation that short?  Intriguing just to think about it.

Bud
Sometimes a good question is as valuable as a good answer!

Ben Stallings

• Super Auditor
    • Green Door Kansas
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 07:41:45 AM »
I know, right?  Not to mention the travel.  He found me through my "Non-Obvious Weatherization" slideshow from 2 years ago, which took me 90 minutes to present.

Bud9051

• Global Moderator
  • Super Auditor
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 09:59:05 AM »
There's an interesting message here, they want to learn about energy efficiency, but apparently feel 15 minutes is all that is required.  What does that say for the global warming, federal deficit, and other macro issues related to energy?  The message hasn't gone very far.  Did they say who the audience would be?

Bud

Ben Stallings

• Super Auditor
    • Green Door Kansas
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 09:49:49 AM »
No they didn't, but keep in mind, most TED talks are less than 15 minutes.  The very longest allowed are 20.  Most are 7, I believe.  And they include some of the very best, most inspiring talks ever recorded.  So maybe we should consider it a goal to get our talks down to that length, at least as an option.

Bud9051

• Global Moderator
  • Super Auditor
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 11:46:42 AM »
LOL, very correct and a real message about communications.  We can have all of the information, but we need to be able to deliver it while our audience is awake.  But wow, I have given this a little thinking and haven't had any ideas as to what I would put into a 15 min. presentation.  And that may be the real challenge to public speaking.  Of course I've heard longer presentations, but those speakers were able to keep their audience on the edge of their chair the whole time.

Beeep!
My time is up
Bud

Barnes & Noble Home Get Great Deals on Furniture at OfficeMax.com!