Author Topic: BPI audit software  (Read 4089 times)

Bud9051

• Global Moderator
  • Super Auditor
  • Good Day or Bad Day, It's a Choice
BPI audit software
« on: June 02, 2010, 08:46:08 AM »
HERS uses REMrate, but how about BPI.  I overheard a little bird talking during my course, which can be a dangerous thing, but they were talking about BPI looking into one particular software package.  No name was mentioned and it was in the preliminary stages.  Now, I just visited PBI's web page and see this: PSD: TREAT 101: Basic Intro to TREAT Software Training, June 7, 2010, Ithaca, NY.  Before I go searching, has anyone else heard/read anything?  Treat is what our state program was using and now that they have gone BPI they have dropped it.  Now BPI may be picking it up, so maybe a good choice for my software.

Bud
Sometimes a good question is as valuable as a good answer!

Anita12168

Re: BPI audit software
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 04:54:12 PM »
As far as I know, BPI wasn't pushing any one particular program. NY State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) has all the Home Performance with Energy Star contractors using TREAT. However, they have an RFP out and are looking for possible alternatives. Remrate, TREAT, a CSG home-grown product are a few of the contenders. NYSERDA is supposed to be concluding the search soon, but I have yet to hear anything about the new choice.

Anita

Josh

• Sym-Home
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 10:32:26 AM »
I am looking at using REM/Design.  It is the same thing as REM/Rate, it just does not provide you with the HERS Score.

Bud9051

• Global Moderator
  • Super Auditor
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 11:48:55 AM »
Hi Josh,
REM/Design seems to be the default choice, but I find it disappointing that there aren't a couple of top choices to select from.  There should be a blend between ease of use and the quality of the report.  I talked to two people today that are proceeding on their own without chasing the stimulus money and both want me to help them decide on the best improvements but could care less about the fancy report.  Both had talked to my competition who apparently emphasized the absolute need for doing it their way, resulting in their report that would be the bible.  We can generate some good information, but we need to present it in a 5 page summary.

I will have to pull the trigger very soon, so let me know if you take the plunge.  Always nice to have company:).

Bud

JJ

• Administrator
  • Super Auditor
  • Infrared & Energy Dude
    • AC Tool Supply
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 01:16:33 PM »
For those of you on the fence about software, hang in there for a couple more months.  I did a demo this week of another product out there.  It's functionality is better than Recurve as well as its reporting.  It is a "cloud" type of solution.  It functions 100% right now, they are just working on the front end looks and buttoning up some deals that have to be made before going 100% live with it. 

Just to give you a slight taste it actually goes as far as submitting all paperwork to the state or other weatherization program for approval or whatever documentation you need.  It also acts as a mini CRM.  For those of you that already have a CRM do not expect it to overtake that, but for you guys that do not have a CRM is a great simple solution. I only point out these features because the real meat and potatoes features you guys need, it does them all with ease.

I should be able to set up some sort of demo for energyauditortalk members before it releases. 

Cost is $0.  It is billed on a per audit basis.

JJ

Bud9051

• Global Moderator
  • Super Auditor
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 04:55:08 AM »
Hi Jason,
Very interesting!  Timing is poor, so tell them to hurry.  By the end of August, folks in the north country are ready to do everything they should have done during the summer.

It is a "cloud" type of solution.  You will have to explain that to the old guy:).

A pay as you go software package, as long as it isn't too expensive, is a great way to get started and when you consider the renewal costs or upgrade costs of other packages,  it is an easy way to pass on a fixed cost to our customers.  If I go the purchase route and only do 10 audits a year, my cost per audit is huge compared to another auditor who does 100 audits or a company that does 1,000.

Currently there are few programs that are approved by RESNET, although I'm not sure that will be a required benchmark for long.  Will this new software be attempting to become an approved package?  I almost hope not, as that would dictate much of the complexity and it is the unnecessary complexity that I would like to avoid.

If there is anything like a beta testing phase I would be interested.

Did you pick up any information on how they will be handling libraries, like labor and material costs?

Any extra information they can release would be welcome,
Bud

Steve03038

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 07:21:33 AM »
I agree Bud!  The teaser is great JJ, but I need was planning to pick my software in the next week or so.  Is there anything more you can add? 

JJ

• Administrator
  • Super Auditor
  • Infrared & Energy Dude
    • AC Tool Supply
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 08:46:28 AM »
A large energy auditing group/company is using it right now.  They contacted me because of energy auditor talk and because they want to be able to offer equipment to their clients. 

Right now they are only taking on a few customers a week.  They want to be able to handle the customers.  If there was a large influx they would get overloaded and customers would not receive proper attention.  They also want to make their front end "prettier" which doesn't matter much, it is more about functionality. 

Let me see what I can get done for you guys.  I am sure I can get a handful of people in to use it. 

Bud, "cloud" computing is a term that refers to something that requires no software and runs completely online.  In a field service oriented business this is not easy to do, since the user often times does not have computer and/or internet access.  I am actually not sure how this particular solution addresses this.  I think they are a hybrid or numbers are still done via a PC or hand written then imputed when computer and internet access is available.  I know they are working on mobile device abilities, but I am not sure if they have this 100% implemented yet. 

Another feature of a real cloud solution is that the user spends almost no time waiting on the cloud (internet connection).  They accomplish this through many means, a good example is java.  I have not seen it done yet, but flash would work well for this as well.  When using a cloud based system you can actually click and drag.  Basically when using the system, with the exception of the browser bar, it is hard to tell you are even using something that is not installed software (offline application).

I will contact them on Monday and see what I can get done for you guys.  I know they are really worried about how it looks, hehe.  Sounds crazy, but Recurve is a beautiful program and they feel Recurve is their only real competition.

JJ

Steve03038

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 07:24:59 PM »
Great JJ!
Tell them beauty is only skin deep.  Ease of use and functionality is what we would call "a thing of beauty and joy to behold."  And yes, Recurve is pretty...

rydiddie13

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 02:47:57 PM »
JJ,

What's the name of this 'cloud' software.  I've been very close to buying treat for the past two weeks but will wait to hear about this new release.  Also, does anyone know if there is any way to demo ReCurve at this point before it is officially released?

Barnes & Noble Home Get Great Deals on Furniture at OfficeMax.com!