Author Topic: Social Media - Twitter  (Read 1599 times)

SLS Construction

• Global Moderator
  • Super Auditor
    • SLS Construction & Building Solutions
Social Media - Twitter
« on: June 26, 2010, 06:02:27 AM »
Let's get the party started on Social Media...

Twitter is basically a mini blog as you are limited to 140 charectors - for business, it can be a great source to get word out about sales, sending a thought of the day, meeting up with other Energy Pro's, promote a blog aticle you completed, etc... Twitter has also been succesfully implemented on many forums, driving more users to a forum post & then getting them signed up on the forum & participating.

There are a few rules if you want to get the most from Twitter --- add a avatar (small pic), change the backgrond, fill out the profile with at least your location and web site & remember the term is "Social" not "It's all about me"

John our newest RESNET rater - www.twitter.com/EESavers
Mine is www.twitter.com/SLSConstruction
Anyone else want to add your name, so we have a nice centralized listing? Questions?

Garen Thatcher

• Swiftsure Energy Services
Re: Social Media - Twitter
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 09:56:56 AM »
I just started a follow on you.
I can be found at www.twitter.com/ggthatcher and plan to tweet everything that shows up at the blog. http://homeenergytest.wordpress.com

SSLPro

• Sr. Auditor
Re: Social Media -Anti- Twitter
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 07:16:46 AM »
Is twitter valuable - maybe- I  just don't see the appeal. My concern
its too effemeral - fleeting - not a good com tool for some thing like multi facet analysis or in depth evaluation.
Its like choosing to read something - Charles Dickens or Shakespear vs reading  a bazooka joe bubble gum wrapper-. With society's attention span now approaching that of  a beagles ( other then quick annoucements)
I don't think that it's a tool I would use -To Be able to be succint is good - but I prefer well constructed sentences.  SSL

JJ

• Administrator
  • Super Auditor
  • Infrared & Energy Dude
    • AC Tool Supply
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 09:33:43 AM »
SSl,

The thing is, it works.  I cannot stand it either and I am only 37.

I am not sure how old you are, but for all you guys over 35 I would highly recommend a book I recently read called "how to motivate the what's in it for me generation".  It is more of a management book, but it also helps to understand Gen X (although that is over 35 currently), Gen Y and the New Millennial generation.  Understanding who you are dealing with helps a ton for marketing, sales, management, etc.  It will also give you a competitive advantage.

JJ

SLS Construction

• Global Moderator
  • Super Auditor
    • SLS Construction & Building Solutions
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 10:54:22 AM »
SSL, trust me I felt the same way - someone mentioned this first on Contractor Talk & my response was that it had no value that I could see & I made the joke about tweeting every time I hit a nail & finished off with Ouch, never tweet while nailing

Now, not only have I made more contacts with people in the industry, but with lawyers, designers, architects, etc... & low and behold for all the jaded among us - actually gotten work from it, same with posts made in other forums, my blog, etc...

Now is this for everyone - no
Should you treat it as a sales platform - no, because it isn't, but as I stated above you can get actual leads & sales from it - with your evangelical approach to SSL, I think you would be amazed at how many people would follow you, and help you out

If you can approach it with an open mind - check out Amy Good's presentation on Twitter http://mynetwork.yourbuilderlink.com/pg/pages/view/15206/

Check out Chris Brogan (link to his book, but also plenty of free advise on his blog & site) http://www.chrisbrogan.com/social-media-101/

JJ

• Administrator
  • Super Auditor
  • Infrared & Energy Dude
    • AC Tool Supply
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 12:03:20 PM »
By the way, give the Beagal more credit.  Hold a piece of food in front of it vs a 14-17 year old and see which loses concentration first.  :)

JJ

stnick

• Super Auditor
    • Efficient Energy Savers
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 12:27:27 PM »
I think you need a strategy to do social media effectively.  SM includes  Twitter, Facebook, Blogging and any of the other million and one online efforts to get people to congregate.

Your strategy needs to be specific to you, to your business and your abilities.  Your strategy needs to be written (in your business plan).  You need to follow it.

Most of your communicating factual stuff about your business occurs in a blog, a website or perhaps a facebook page.

The other SM forms have a different function.  All work and no play make Jack a dull boy!  Remember that one.  It is true in Business, too.  If all you do is work and talk about work, you can be very dull.  So you have a life outside of work.   Show that on SM forums. Help others. Make friends.  A successful guy once told me that a lot of big business gets done on the golf course.  What he meant was the relationship is established there.  That opens the door at the office or home or wherever you need to be to do some business.

The thing about Twitter is meeting new people.  You start following someone, you repeat one of their tweets to your followers.  They get that.  Then maybe they follow you.  The trick is to keep the following you.

I am sure that many of the different SM forums operate in similar ways.

But start with your strategy.  Write it down.  Who do you want to reach for what part of your business?  How do you want to influence them.  Are they your paying customer?  Are they someone that would recommend to a paying customer?  How do you want to reach them?  Then work your plan.

John
Efficiency is Not About Changing how People Work!
Efficiency is About Changing how Things Work!

SSLPro

• Sr. Auditor
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 03:02:33 PM »
Good replies Fellas,

I am sure that twitter isn't going away- Its just not for me ( and alot of 50+ types) it seem to be usually
used for trite observations/ blurbs and such. Re dogs and their attention span- and I didn't mean to besmirch beagles or any other canines
-I love dogs- But teens and others do have really short attention spans.They remind me of Homer Simpson.

One generational observation regarding SSL usage - the younger the audience the more likely they are to
get the rationale - even though older folks Love the idea of pulling out a 20ft ladder once a decade if that-SSL

Barnes & Noble Home Get Great Deals on Furniture at OfficeMax.com!